I went a few weeks without having any coffee. It was a sad few weeks. I wanted to take a little break from the caffeine because I was starting to need more and more before it would have an affect on me. Now, I am buzzing from a single cup again haha!
But anyway, that isn’t the only reason I made some coffee cake. The main reason is because Ascent just release their new Cappuccino flavored Native Fuel whey protein. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect when I got the samples about a month ago, but it turned out awesome. They really did a good job of capturing that cappuccino flavor without making it overbearing.
I know not all coffee cake actually tastes like coffee, but I figured what the heck. If it’s called coffee cake, it might as well have coffee flavor. I added 3/4 cup of brewed coffee (cooled of course) and the cappuccino protein to give it some awesome coffee flavor.
And, of course, every good coffee cake has a streusel. I decided to change it up from a typical streusel and go with a walnut streusel. I am really happy with how it turned out. And, lastly, I drizzled it with a little glaze for the looks and a little extra flavor.
Overall, if you like coffee cake but you don’t like all the extra calories and bad things that are in most coffee cakes, you gotta make this one. You won’t even be able to tell the difference from an unhealthy one.
Cappuccino Protein Coffee Cake
This delicious cappuccino protein coffee cake is packed with protein and healthy fats from the cinnamon walnut streusel topping.
Author: Spencer Miller
Serves: 8 pieces
- 1½ cups white/whole wheat flour
- 1 scoop Ascent cappuccino flavor whey protein powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 container (150g) vanilla Greek yogurt (or preferred yogurt)
- ¾ cup brewed coffee, cooled/room temp
Walnut Crumble Topping
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 tbsp. butter (or vegan butter/coconut oil)
- 4 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp. almond milk (or regular milk)
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar (or preferred sugar alternative)
- In a large bowl, add four, protein powder, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, olive oil, honey, vanilla extract, Greek yogurt, brown sugar and cooled coffee.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Gently stir until incorporated. Be careful not to over mix.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add butter/vegan substitute. Heat in microwave until melted. Add walnuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Mix until combined.
- Pour batter into a 7x11 glass baking dish lined with nonstick foil or sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Sprinkle crumble topping evenly over top of the batter.
- Bake at 375F for 20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Once cooked, let completely cool before adding glaze.
- To make glaze, mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Pour glaze into a small ziplock bag. Cut a small piece off the end and use the bag to pipe the glaze over top cooled cake.
- Cut into 8 pieces and enjoy!
Serving size: 1 piece Calories: 300 Fat: 14 Carbohydrates: 33 Fiber: 5 Protein: 12