With Valentines Day right around the corner, I’m thinking about chocolate. Ha, who am I kidding? There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think about chocolate! These protein chocolate almond butter and jelly cups are possible some of the best I’ve made.
It’s like PB&J inside of chocolate, but almond butter. Maybe we can call it AB&J? Hmm doesn’t quite sound as good as PB&J, but I can guarantee that it tastes just as good or better.
The filling is fantastic. I mixed creamy almond butter with sweet strawberry jam and unflavored whey protein powder. If you don’t have unflavored, vanilla will work just fine too. Anyway, the filling is perfect. It’s creamy, it’s sweet, it’s a little salty, and packed with protein. What isn’t to love?
I’ll be honest, I don’t typically turn down any dessert, but this one is something special. Everyone I gave them to absolutely loved them. My mom, my dad, friends, everyone! I know you guys will love them just as much as me. You really can’t go wrong with something so delicious, yet made with healthy, all natural ingredients and packed with protein.
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips*
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- ¼ cup natural, creamy almond butter
- ¼ cup strawberry jam
- 1½ scoops unflavored whey protein powder (or vanilla)
- Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on 30 second intervals, stirring every 30 seconds, until chocolate chips are completely melted.
- Set out 9 mini muffin liners. Spoon about ½ a tablespoon of melted chocolate into each.
- While chocolate is still liquid, rotate each of the liners on it’s side and spin so that chocolate can coat the sides.
- Place in freezer for about 10 minutes to let the chocolate set. While cooling, make strawberry peanut butter filling.
- In a bowl, add almond butter. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds to make more of a liquid and easier to mix.
- Add jam to melted almond butter. Mix. Add protein powder. Mix again until well incorporated. Will make a thick almost sticky mixture.
- Take cooled chocolate filled liners out of freezer. Add about 1 tablespoon of the peanut butter filling. I rolled each tablespoon into a ball, but it inside the chocolate, and then pressed it down a little to flatten it.
- Top each evenly with remaining melted chocolate. Place back in freezer/refrigerator to chill and harden. Enjoy!