It has been way too long since I have made donuts. I couldn’t even tell you when the last time I made them was. Now, that is a serious problem. Last night I made some and boy am I glad that I did. Donuts=happiness!!!
I decided to go with chocolate peanut butter donuts. It took me a while to decide if I wanted chocolate donuts and peanut butter glaze or peanut butter donuts and chocolate glaze. As you can see, I opted to go for the latter and then drizzle the chocolate glaze with peanut butter.
They are definitely my favorite donuts yet. Of course it is mostly because of the combination of chocolate and peanut butter. But, also because of the new protein I used. I was lucky enough to get some SunWarrior protein in the mail. It is similar to casein where it doesn’t dry out baked goods and leaves a very moist end product!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Donuts
Author: Spencer Miller
These chocolate peanut butter protein donuts are the ultimate healthy donut recipe. You can't beat a moist peanut butter protein donut topped with a decadent chocolate glaze and peanut butter drizzle.
Peanut Butter Donuts
- ¾ cup oat flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 2 tbsp. peanut flour (or more oat flour)
- 1 scoop vanilla SunWarrior protein powder (or vanilla casein protein)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 whole egg
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup (or honey/agave)
- ¼ cup milk (I used unsweetened almond)
- 3 tbsp. natural creamy peanut butter
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips (or milk chocolate for sweeter)
- ½ tbsp. coconut oil
Peanut Butter Drizzle
- 2 tbsp. peanut flour
- 2 tbsp. milk or water
- Preheat oven to 350F. Mix flour, protein powder, peanut flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, maple syrup, milk, peanut butter, and vanilla extract.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Gently fold together until a thick batter is formed. Spoon batter into a piping bag or ziplock bag. Cut about ½ inch hole on end of bag. Spray a donut pan with nonstick spray. Pipe donut batter into the donut pan. Makes 6 medium sized donuts.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Let donuts cool completely.
- Heat chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl for about 1 minute. Stir together until smooth. Dip each donut into chocolate glaze.
- Mix peanut flour and water in a small bowl. Drizzle peanut butter mixture over the top of each donut. Chill in the fridge for about 10 minutes to let chocolate glaze harden. Enjoy!