I was in the mood for French toast the other day. I needed to change it up a little from the typical pancakes and waffles. It seems like it has been a while since I have had French toast. I am so glad that I made it.
I have actually come to find out that one of my favorite foods is sauteed cinnamon apples. Man are they good. I sautee them with coconut oil, maple syrup and cinnamon. They end up soft, sweet, and cinnamony (if thats a word?).
The base was just your typical cinnamon french toast recipe, but the apples are what really shined. I really could have eaten about a bucket full of those apples.
To top it off, I used a Detour Smart apple cinnamon whole grain oatmeal bar. I just crumbled it up and used it like a cinnamon crumble topping. These bars are extremely good. They are chewy and sweet. The best part is that they are all natural, sweetened with stevia, and they have 10 grams of protein! And for those of you who are gluten free, go ahead and devour one of these bars. They are gluten free as well.
Enough of my rambling, here is the recipe!
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 large egg white
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. stevia
- 1 large apple
- 1 tsp. (5g) coconut oil
- ¼ cup sugar free maple syrup
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ detour Apple cinnamon bar (optional)
- Heat a large pan to medium/high heat. In a large bowl (big enough to fit a whole slice of bread) whisk together whole egg, egg white, and almond milk. Add cinnamon and stevia and whisk again.
- Soak one slice of bread in egg mixture for 20-30 seconds per side. Repeat for second slice of bread. Spray pan with nonstick cooking spray or grease with coconut oil.
- Cook each piece of french toast for about 3 minutes per side or until a nice golden brown color.
- Leave pan on and add 1 tsp. coconut oil. Dice apple into about ½ inch cubes. Add apple and cook for about a minute. Then add sugar free maple syrup and cinnamon. Mix around so cinnamon and syrup coats apples evenly. Cook for another 4-5 minutes until apples are soft.
- Top French toast with cinnamon apples and Apple cinnamon detour bar (optional).