It has been forever since I have made something red velvet. I think the last thing might have been my red velvet protein donuts way back. Well, I finally got back to it with these superfood red velvet protein pancakes.
I don’t think red velvet can get much more healthy than this. I was lucky enough to get a package from MRM Nutrition and they sent me some of their vegan veggie protein as well as a few superfood powders. One of those superfood powders was their organic red beet powder.
I used the red beet powder to give these pancakes the red color instead of using that nasty food coloring that is typically used. It doesn’t make them taste like you are eating beets, but it does give it a slight flavor. If you don’t like beets, just use food coloring.
And of course, as all good red velvet recipes should, I made a cream cheese/cheesecake icing to top them with. It is just a bit of cheesecake flavored pudding mixed with some vanilla greek yogurt. Then, I had to top the pancakes with some carob chips.
You can definitely feel good about eating these thanks to the beet powder and carob chips which are some amazing superfoods!
Superfood Red Velvet Protein Pancakes
Fluffy secret-ingredient superfood red velvet protein pancakes topped with delicious cheesecake icing and a sprinkle of carob chips.
Author: Spencer Miller
Serves: 1 large serving
- ⅔ cup oat flour (or wheat flour)
- 1 scoop MRM vanilla veggie protein (or casein)
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1-2 tbsp. MRM red beet powder*
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 1 whole egg
- ½ cup almond milk
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- ¼ cup cheesecake pudding
- 2 tbsp. vanilla greek yogurt
- ½ tbsp. chocolate/carob chips (for topping)
- Preheat pan or griddle to medium heat. Add all pancakes ingredients to a large bowl. Gently stir together until a thick batter is formed.
- Spray griddle with nonstick spray. Spoon batter evenly onto griddle to make 5 medium sized pancakes. Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Once pancakes are done, mix pudding and yogurt to make cheesecake icing. Drizzle over top of the pancakes and sprinkle with carob chips. Enjoy!
*There will be a slight flavor of beets in the pancakes. If you don’t like the flavor, you can omit and just use some red food coloring.
Serving size: pancakes (without toppings) Calories: 470 Fat: 12 Carbohydrates: 55 Sugar: 5 Fiber: 11 Protein: 40