The blueberries looked good at the grocery so I got a big container of them. I had to use them up some how, so I decided to make some blueberry waffles. Everyone always eats blueberry pancakes, but I figured waffles could use some love with blueberries too!
I still have not decided whether I like waffles or pancakes more. It is a pretty close competition. Either way, these waffles were pretty dang good. I mean seriously. What isn’t to love about fluffy vanilla protein waffles filled with blueberries? And, I topped them with more blueberries, almond butter, and a almond spice square bar.
I haven’t been doing much dairy lately, so I used Sun Warrior vanilla plant protein. It is an awesome alternative dairy protein. When baking and cooking, it is very similar to casein protein because it absorbs a lot of the liquid.
Blueberry Almond Butter Protein Waffles
Author: Spencer Miller
Fluffy vanilla protein waffles filled with blueberries, and topped with almond butter, chocolate coated almond spice protein bar, and more blueberries!
- ¾ cup oat flour (or other preferred flour)
- 1 scoop vanilla rice protein (or casein protein)
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 whole egg
- 6 tbsp. milk (any milk is fine)
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp. pure maple syrup*
- ⅓ cup fresh blueberries + more for topping
- 2 tbsp. natural almond butter
- ½ almond spice Squarebar, cut into small squares
- Preheat waffle iron to medium heat. Mix flour, protein powder and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add egg, milk, vanilla extract, and maple syrup to bowl. Mix well until a smooth batter forms. Fold in blueberries.
- Spray waffle iron with nonstick spray. Spoon batter into waffle iron. Cook for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drizzle waffles with melted almond butter. Top with blueberries, and chopped up squarer. Enjoy!
*More or less depending on preferred sweetness.