The blueberries looked good at the grocery so I got a big container of them. I had to use them up some how, so I decided to make some blueberry waffles. Everyone always eats blueberry pancakes, but I figured waffles could use some love with blueberries too!
I still have not decided whether I like waffles or pancakes more. It is a pretty close competition. Either way, these waffles were pretty dang good. I mean seriously. What isn’t to love about fluffy vanilla protein waffles filled with blueberries? And, I topped them with more blueberries, almond butter, and a almond spice square bar.
I haven’t been doing much dairy lately, so I used Sun Warrior vanilla plant protein. It is an awesome alternative dairy protein. When baking and cooking, it is very similar to casein protein because it absorbs a lot of the liquid.
Blueberry Almond Butter Protein Waffles
Fluffy vanilla protein waffles filled with blueberries, and topped with almond butter, chocolate coated almond spice protein bar, and more blueberries!
Author: Spencer Miller
Serves: 1 large serving
- ¾ cup oat flour (or other preferred flour)
- 1 scoop vanilla rice protein (or casein protein)
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 whole egg
- 6 tbsp. milk (any milk is fine)
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp. pure maple syrup*
- ⅓ cup fresh blueberries + more for topping
- 2 tbsp. natural almond butter
- ½ almond spice Squarebar, cut into small squares
- Preheat waffle iron to medium heat. Mix flour, protein powder and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add egg, milk, vanilla extract, and maple syrup to bowl. Mix well until a smooth batter forms. Fold in blueberries.
- Spray waffle iron with nonstick spray. Spoon batter into waffle iron. Cook for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drizzle waffles with melted almond butter. Top with blueberries, and chopped up squarer. Enjoy!
*More or less depending on preferred sweetness.