This was one of those spur the moment recipes that ended up turning out awesome. It seems that sometimes the less I plan a recipe, the better they turn out. Since I was busy riding and doing school work for most of the day, I made these waffles for dinner. You can never go wrong with waffles for dinner. Or any breakfast food for dinner for that matter.
The waffles themselves are pretty simple. I used MusclePharm vanilla combat protein powder in them to give a boost of protein and delicious vanilla flavor. Then I added about half a cup of fresh blueberries because they just wouldn’t be blueberry waffles without blueberries.
One of my favorite things to do lately with frozen fruit is to heat it up in a pan with some maple syrup. I let it simmer and sort of make a sauce. This time using blueberries heated with the syrup, it basically made a delicious blueberry syrup.
For the cheesecake sauce, I just used some sugar free cheesecake pudding mix and mixed it with water until it was a sauce. I love putting it on pancakes and waffles, or pretty much anything. It makes it literally taste like you are eating cheesecake!
Blueberry Cheesecake Protein Waffles
Fluffy blueberry protein waffles topped with healthy blueberry syrup and sugar free cheesecake sauce.
Author: Spencer Miller
Serves: 1 serving
- ½ cup (60g) whole wheat flour
- 1 scoop (33g) MusclePharm vanilla combat protein powder
- 1 tsp. granulated stevia or erythritol
- cinnamon to taste
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp. milk (any milk is fine)
- ¼ cup (56g) plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 whole egg
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- ½ cup (70g) blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ cup (35g) frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp. sugar free maple syrup
- stevia to taste
- 2 tbsp. (8g) sugar free cheesecake pudding mix
- Preheat Belgian waffle maker to medium heat. Mix flour, protein powder, stevia, cinnamon and baking powder. In a separate bowl, add egg, milk, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Gently mix together until combined. Spray waffle iron with nonstick spray.
- Pour batter evenly into waffle iron to make 3 Belgian waffles. Cook for about 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Spray a small pan with nonstick spray. Add blueberries and maple syrup. Let simmer on medium/high heat for about 5 minutes. Take off heat and let cool.
- Mix cheesecake pudding mix with water until you get a thick sauce consistency.
- Top waffles with blueberry syrup, cheesecake sauce, and more blueberries. Enjoy!
Serving size: 3 waffles Calories: 485 Fat: 9 Carbohydrates: 57 Sugar: 10 Fiber: 12 Protein: 46